Thursday, September 13, 2007

Students and Blogs

My student groups are now keeping a blog, so I felt obligated to resurrect mine. Many of them seem sceptical about the concept of blogging, and perhaps this experiment will be a pedagogical disaster, but I'm hoping it will help them communicate within their group. Also that at least some of them will enjoy it and start writing. I believe, like many composition instructors, that the way to learn to write is to write, a lot, kind of the practice makes perfect school of thought. A blog is a new way to do an old trick, and maybe it will engage a few of them. As a person that never managed to keep a diary, completely lacking in any kind of confessional motivation, and sadly not a lot of introspection as well, things like blogs are hard for me to get excited about. But I don't want to make the mistake that many instructors make and assume that my students are like me. Some are and some aren't. And we'll see how this takes off.

3 comments:

littlespoon said...

When i try to change my display name, which I didn't think had anything to do with the process of commenting it tells me I'm "logged in" as that and that commenting is only allowed for team members. I'm confused. Could you help me out?

-Sky

Kendall said...

Sky--

I think if you create a new blog and select setting it will allow you to change the comment settings to anyone logged in. As for changing your name, dig around the settings--you should find something in there that will let you change it.

Kendall

littlespoon said...

p.s. even tho some people were mis-guided. i really enjoyed doing this because it got me to really respect joanna as a writer and i out some of my poems out there...it was cool. but then...im he type of person that sometimes wants to be evil and when someone makes a blatant spelling mistake and not just a typo, i want to call them out on it, but usually i don't...thanks, you were a great teacher. you made the class fun and made me feel good about my writing. im going to be in a creative writing class with Wilson next semester. wish me luck.